For a few months now, I’ve had a dying thirst to travel.
But not exactly in an ‘I want to travel, explore and get lost in a new culture’ kinda way. Well, not exactly. It’s more of my way of coping with intense stress. Traveling and starting life over is how I was raised. It’s now become a wonderful technique for running away from my problems. I find it comforting to know that no matter how bad things get, or where I end up, I can always start over somewhere else. It was about time I learn that some things in life require endurance despite how difficult they may be.
You may be wondering what problem in my life I’m referring to. Without getting into the nitty-gritty details, in order to stay in Australia and continue to live the life I have, I need to comply with the rules of my work visa. Once this period of life is over, more will be said (so much more). But for now, it what it is.
This urge to escape has been so strong that it’s led me on a massive personal journey. Not exactly the joyous, whimsical kind of journey I was hoping for. Instead, it’s led me down a path that does not involve traveling in the traditional, physical sense. It involves taking a spiritually awakening course in Transpersonal Art Therapy.
Rather than traveling to the jungles of South America for an ayahuasca kind of enlightenment or doing the Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage in Spain, I’ll be travelling deep within my own psyche. To places I’ve never been to before, discovering the darkness of my unconscious. Maybe life conspired for me to be exactly where I am so that I could go on this very path…
Here a few quotes I’ve come across that helped me to take the leap into the unknown. Hopefully, they too can rev up your engine and get you excited to travel. Whether it’s around the world or within your own mind. Either can be just as profound of an adventure.
- “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
― Mary Oliver
“Trust me, it’s paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven’t tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It’s probably worth it.”
– Alex Garland
- “Don’t settle down and sit in one place. Move around, be nomadic. Make each day a new horizon. You are still going to live a long time and it would be a shame if you did not take the opportunity to revolutionize your life and move into an entirely new realm of experience. The only person you are fighting is yourself and your stubbornness to engage in new circumstances.”
- “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.”
― Saint Augustine
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
― Mark Twain
- “Traveling is about giving bliss to your mind, learning to think less and feel more as you’re surrounded by nature and appreciating how wonderful it is to simply be alive.”
― Juansen Dizon
“Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.”
― Paulo Coelho
- “You were born with potential.
You were born with goodness and trust. You were born with ideals and dreams. You were born with greatness.
You were born with wings.
You are not meant for crawling, so don’t.
You have wings.
Learn to use them and fly.”
- “Break the shell and let life touch you.”
- “I don’t believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.”
― Joseph Campbell